Sunday, April 24, 2011

May 2011 Art Opening "Form & Figure"



"Form & Figure"
2011 - Art - A - Whirl Gallery Show



Come see my latest work on Opening night, Friday, May 20th, 2011 from 5-10pm. 

I hope you can join me as we celebrate the opening of this year’s ART-A-WHIRL, North East's Open Studio and Gallery Tour. I will have more than 30 new images on display, which will also be available for purchase.


This year's show is a diverse collection of "Form & Figure" captured using new and old techniques. Last year's show was intentionally focused on strong colors and had an obvious theme and character. With this show, I wanted to once again embrace my diversity and the multitude of methods I have developed over the years, while still presenting a cohesive collection. I have divided the show into groups of images with a similar approach. Some sets explore the near abstract forms of the close cropped human figure that I have long explored. While others dance with intimacy and even touch, slightly, the erotic. 

This year's title is a bit of a play on words. I place great value on emotion and heart in my work but have always taken more of a fact and figures approach. The 'figures' matter as it is the math of the ideal proportion which the human mind is so pleased and drawn to. Whether you know those proportions as the Fibonacci sequence, 1.61803, or 36-24-36, you see them and you feel them. 

If you can't make it Friday night, the gallery will be open Saturday, May 21th - Noon-8:00 p.m. and Sunday, May 22th - Noon-5:00 p.m. in conjunction with all of the ART-A-WHIRL activities. Come see my work, and then make a day of exploring the more then 500 artists throughout the buildings participating in AAW2011. 


The gallery is located in the Grain Belt Bottling Company building at 79 Thirteenth Avenue NE in Minneapolis. The Bottling Company building is located just north of the big brewery building and my show will be inside the main entrance, on the second floor back and to the right, Studio 219. I hope to see you there.

-Matt

1 comment: